Barcelona's Jewish Quarter
Barcelona’s Jewish Quarter, El Call (a name derived from the Hebrew word qahal, or "meeting place"), is just to the Rambla side of the Palau de la Generalitat. Carrer del Call, Carrer de Sant Domènec del Call, Carrer Marlet, and Arc de Sant Ramón del Call mark the heart of the medieval ghetto. Confined by law to this area at the end of the 7th century (one reason the streets in Calls or Aljamas were so narrow was that their inhabitants could only build into the streets for more space), Barcelona’s Jews were the private bankers to Catalonia’s sovereign counts (only Jews could legally lend money). The Jewish community also produced many leading physicians, translators, and scholars in medieval Barcelona, largely because the Jewish faith rested on extensive Talmudic and textual study, thus promoting a high degree of literacy. The reproduction of a plaque bearing Hebrew text on the corner of Carrer Marlet and Arc de Sant Ramón del Call was the only physical reminder of the Jewish presence here until the medieval synagogue reopened in 2003.
The Sinagoga Major de Barcelona (Carrer Marlet 2, Barri Gòtic www.calldebarcelona.org €2.50 Tues.–Sat. 11–2, Sun. 4–7), the restored original synagogue at the corner of Marlet and Sant Domènec del Call, is virtually all that survives of the Jewish presence in medieval Barcelona. Tours are given in English, Hebrew, and Spanish, and a booklet in English (€5) explains the history of the community.
The story of Barcelona’s Jewish community came to a bloody end in August 1391, when during a time of famine and pestilence a nationwide outbreak of anti-Semitic violence reached Barcelona, with catastrophic results: nearly the entire Jewish population was murdered or forced to convert to Christianity.
GREAT AMERICAN VACATION
Take our short photo quiz to reveal your ideal trip in the U.S.More
View deals in Barcelona for vacation packages, hotels, airfare, and more from our partners!More