Scuba Diving in Barcelona
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
The Costa Brava's Illes Medes underwater nature preserve offers some of the Mediterranean's finest diving adventures. Seven tiny islands off the coastal town of L'Estartit are the home of some 1,400 species of flora and fauna and an underwater wonderland of tunnels and caves. Colorful fish, crabs, squid, and diverse plant life are observable before wetting a toe (for nonswimmers or those reluctant to dive), and deeper there are lobsters, gilthead bream, grouper, and a dazzling range of fish and marine life of all kinds. Dives deeper than 150 feet may let you see rays. Other diving options are available at the Illes Formigues off the coast of Palamós and Els Ullastres off Llafranc.
Aquàtica–Centro de Buceo. Aquàtica–Centro de Buceo teaches diving, rents equipment, and organizes outings to the Illes Medes. With top safety-code requirements in place and certified instructors and biologists directing the programs in English, French, Catalan, or Spanish, this is one of Estartit's best diving opportunities. Camping Rifort, Barcelona, Catalonia, 08002. 972/75–06–56. www.aquatica-sub.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe