- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
If you're planning to explore beyond Seville, Granada, and Córdoba, a car makes travel convenient.
The main road from Madrid is the A4/E5 through Córdoba to Seville, a four-lane autovía (highway). From Granada or Málaga, head for Antequera, then take A92 autovía by way of Osuna to Seville. Road trips from Seville to Córdoba, Granada, and the Costa del Sol (by way of Ronda) are slow but scenic. Driving in western Andalusia is easy—the terrain is mostly flat land or slightly hilly, and the roads are straight and in good condition. From Seville to Jerez and Cádiz, the A4/E5 toll road gets you to Cádiz in under an hour. The only way to access Doñana National Park by road is to take the A49/E1 Seville-Huelva highway, exit for Almonte/Bollullos par del Condado, then follow the signs for El Rocío and Matalascañas. The A49/E1 west of Seville will also lead you to the freeway to Portugal and the Algarve. There are some beautiful scenic drives here about which the respective tourist offices can advise you. The A369 (also known as C341), heading southwest from Ronda to Gaucín, passes through stunning whitewashed villages.
With the exception of parts of the Alpujarras, most roads in this region are smooth, and touring by car is one of the most enjoyable ways to see the countryside. Local tourist offices can advise about scenic drives. One good route heads northwest from Seville on the N433 passing through stunning scenery; turn northeast on the N435 to Santa Olalla de Cala to the village of Zufre, dramatically set at the edge of a gorge. Backtrack and continue on to Aracena. Return via the Minas de Riotinto (signposted from Aracena), which will bring you back to the N433 heading east to Seville.
Autopro (Málaga. 952/176030. www.autopro.es.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Granada Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at M.A. Alhamar Fr $166+/Nt Save with Expedia, $47/night less
- Granada Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $67+/Nt Save with Expedia, $7/night less
- $244 & Up: Melia Granada 4-Star Hotel in Granada — $244 Save with Expedia, $44/night less
- Seville Savings! Book at LuxSevilla Bormujos Fr $50+/Nt — $50 Expedia
- Book in Seville: Save this May Fr $153+/Nt — $153 Save with Expedia, $27/night less