- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
International and domestic bus lines and the Ljubljana municipal bus service all operate conveniently from the city's main bus terminal, not far from the center.
Private coach companies operate to and from Trieste in Italy and Zagreb in Croatia, as well as other European destinations farther afield. Domestic bus service is frequent from the capital to most Slovenian cities and towns (including most of the destinations in this guide). Outside of a car, the bus remains the only practical option to Bled and Bohinj and mountain destinations west and north of the capital. Except during peak travel periods, you can simply buy your ticket on the bus when you board. Otherwise, purchase tickets a day in advance with a reserved seat. Many buses do not run on Sunday.
Within Ljubljana, the municipal bus network is extensive, and service is frequent during weekdays. Service continues but is less frequent on Saturday, Sunday, and holidays. Buses on most lines stop running around 11 pm. To ride the bus, buy plastic bus tokens (zetoni) at kiosks and post offices, or simply pay the EUR 1 fare in exact change to the driver.
Llubljana Bus Station. Trg OF 5, Ljubljana. 01/090-4230. www.ap-ljubljana.si.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe