The strikingly modern one-story structure was designed by Plečnik student Edvard Ravnikar (1907–1993) in the 1930s and finally finished in 1948. It contains a selection of paintings, sculptures, and prints by Slovenian and Eastern European 20th-century artists. In odd-number years it also hosts the International Biennial of Graphic Art, an exhibition of prints and installations by artists from around the world. Works by Robert Rauschenberg, Susan Rothenburg, and Max
Bill have been shown. The gallery was renovated in 2007 and now has a section of its permanent collection devoted to 20th century avant-gardes and the art of the Partisan Resistance.