If you need to report an emergency, dial 999 for police, fire, or ambulance. Be prepared to give the telephone number you're calling from. You can get 24-hour medical treatment at British hospitals, but as in U.S. hospitals you should expect to wait for treatment. Treatment from the National Health Service is free to British citizens; as a foreigner, you will be billed after the fact for your care. (Prices are nowhere near what they are in the United States.)

General Emergency Contact

Ambulance, fire, police (999.)

U.S. Embassies

American Consulate General (3 Regent Terr., Calton, Edinburgh, Edinburgh, EH7 5BW. 0131/556–8315. edinburgh.usconsulate.gov.)

U.S. Embassy (24 Grosvenor Sq., London, W1A 2LQ. 020/7499–9000. london.usembassy.gov.)

Previous Travel Tip


Next Travel Tip



Book A Hotel
Trip Finder

Fodor's Scotland

View Details