Tipping is done in Scotland as in the United States, but at a lower level. Some restaurants and hotels add a service charge of 10% to 15% to the bill. In this case you aren't expected to tip. Always check first. Taxi drivers, hairdressers, and barbers should also get 10% to 15%. You're not expected to tip theater- or movie theater ushers, or elevator operators.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe