- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Main railway stations in the area include Oban (for Barra and the Uists) and Kyle of Lochalsh (for Skye), on the west coast, or Inverness (for points north to Thurso and Wick). There's direct service from London to Inverness and connecting service from Edinburgh and Glasgow. For information contact National Rail or ScotRail.
J.A. Johnstone Chauffeur Drive will escort you anywhere and gives a lot of information about the Highlands and islands, including the Outer Hebrides. Raasay Outdoor Centre organizes courses in kayaking, sailing, windsurfing, climbing, rappelling, archery, walking, and navigation skills.
J.A. Johnstone Chauffeur Drive (01463/798372. www.jajcd.com.)
National Rail (08457/484950; 4420/72785240 from abroad. www.nationalrail.co.uk.)
ScotRail (08457/550033. www.scotrail.co.uk.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe