- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Scottish Citylink and National Express run buses to Inverness, Ullapool, Thurso, Scrabster, and Wick. There are also coach connections between the ferry ports of Tarbert and Stornoway; consult the local tourist information center for details. Buses are a reliable way to see this region, but they often don't run frequently.
Highland Country Buses provides bus service in the Highlands area, often under the name Stagecoach. On the Outer Hebrides several small operators run regular routes to most towns and villages. The post-bus service—which also delivers mail—becomes increasingly important in remote areas. It supplements the regular bus service, which runs only a few times per week. A full timetable of services for the Northern Highlands (and the rest of Scotland) is available from the Royal Mail.
Stagecoach Highlands (01463/233371. www.stagecoachbus.com.)
National Express (08705/808080. www.nationalexpress.co.uk.)
Royal Mail Post Buses (0845/7740740. www.royalmail.com/postbus.)
Scottish Citylink (0871/2663333. www.citylink.co.uk.)
Traveline Scotland (08706/082608. www.travelinescotland.com.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe