- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
On a map, this area may seem far from major urban centers, but it's easy to reach. Inverness has an airport with direct links to London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Amsterdam.
The main airports for the Northern Highlands are Inverness and Wick (both on the mainland). Loganair (www.loganair.co.uk) has direct air service from Edinburgh and Glasgow to Inverness and from Edinburgh to Wick. You can fly from London Gatwick, Luton Airport (near London), or Bristol to Inverness on one of the daily easyJet (www.easyjet.com) flights. British Airways (www.britishairways.com) also has a service from Gatwick. Loganair operates flights among the islands of Barra, Benbecula, and Lewis in the Outer Hebrides (weekdays only). Highland Airways (www.highlandairways.co.uk) operates flights from Inverness to Stornoway and Benbecula.
Inverness Airport (Old Military Rd., Dalcross, IV2 7JB. 01667/464000. www.hial.co.uk/inverness-airport.html.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe