- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The windswept little outpost of John o'Groats is usually taken to be the northernmost community on the Scottish mainland, though that is not strictly accurate, as an exploration of the network of roads between Dunnet Head and John o'Groats will confirm. From the harbor you can take a boat to see the dolphins and seals that live beneath the coastal cliffs. Or you can seek out Duncansby Head, where you can watch the puffins and guillemots. This is nature, wild and untouched. The little town has charms of its own, including a crafts center with high-quality shops selling knitwear, candles, and gifts.
John o'Groats at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Northern Highlands and the Western Isles
- Isle of Harris
- Isle of Lewis
- Isle of Skye
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's