- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Achiltibuie is a small farming community set in magnificent mountain and coastal scenery. Offshore are the attractive Summer Isles, whose history dates back to Viking raids. Cruises from Ullapool visit the largest and only inhabited island, Tanera Mhor, where you can buy special Summer Isle stamps—Tanera Mhor is the only Scottish island to have a private postal service.
The town has become a bit of a foodie haven thanks to businesses like the Achiltibuie Smokehouse and also the Summer Isles Hotel. At the time of this writing, an organic farm called Achiltibuie Gardens was set to open by summer 2010.
Achiltibuie at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Northern Highlands and the Western Isles
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe