- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Central Highlands are linked to Edinburgh and Glasgow by rail, with through routes to England (some direct-service routes from London take fewer than five hours). Several discount ticket options are available, although in some cases on the ScotRail system the discount fares must be purchased before your arrival in the United Kingdom. Contact Trainline, National Rail, or ScotRail for details.
The West Highland Line runs through the western portion of the area. Services also run to Stirling, Dunblane, Perth, and Gleneagles, stops on the Inverness-Perth line include Dunkeld, Pitlochry, and Blair Atholl.
National Rail Enquiries (08457/484950. www.trainline.co.uk.)
ScotRail (08457/550033. www.scotrail.co.uk.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe