- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Central Highlands are linked to Edinburgh and Glasgow by rail, with through routes to England (some direct-service routes from London take fewer than five hours). Several discount ticket options are available, although in some cases on the ScotRail system the discount fares must be purchased before your arrival in the United Kingdom. Contact Trainline, National Rail, or ScotRail for details.
The West Highland Line runs through the western portion of the area. Services also run to Stirling, Dunblane, Perth, and Gleneagles, stops on the Inverness-Perth line include Dunkeld, Pitlochry, and Blair Atholl.
National Rail Enquiries (08457/484950. www.nationalrail.co.uk.)
ScotRail (08457/550033. www.scotrail.co.uk.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line