- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
There is no train service in the Borders, apart from the Edinburgh-London King's Cross line. Trains stop at Berwick-Upon-Tweed, just south of the border. First Edinburgh has a bus service linking Hawick, Selkirk, and Galashiels with rail services at Carlisle, Edinburgh, and Berwick.
There is only limited service in the southwest. Trains from London's Euston to Glasgow stop at Carlisle, just south of the border, and some also stop at Lockerbie. There are direct trains from Carlisle to Dumfries and the Nith Valley, stopping at Gretna Green and Annan. From Glasgow, there are services to Stranraer, the Nith Valley, and Dumfries.
First Edinburgh (0131/663-9233 or 0871/200-2233. www.firstgroup.com.)
National Rail (08457/484950. www.nationalrail.co.uk.)
ScotRail (08457/550033. www.scotrail.co.uk.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe