The National Trust for Scotland cares for the gently sloping parkland around the 1867 mansion built by William Gordon, a Liverpool businessman. The house, fully restored in the 1930s, gives a glimpse into the daily life of a prosperous family in the 19th century. The foliage demands the employment of many gardeners—and it's here that the gardeners train, thus ensuring there's always some fresh development or experimental planting. Entry to the house is by timed guided tour, and it's wise to book ahead. There's an on-site restaurant.
South of A75, 1 mile west of Castle Douglas, Castle Douglas, Dumfries and Galloway, DG7 1RX, Scotland