Stately Paxton House is a comely Palladian mansion designed in 1758 by James and John Adam, with interiors by their brother Robert. There's Chippendale and Trotter furniture, and the splendid Regency picture gallery has a magnificent collection of paintings. The garden is delightful, with a squirrel hide and a restored boathouse containing a museum of salmon fishing. The adjacent crafts shop and tearoom are open April to October, daily 9 to 5. There's also croquet in the gardens.
B6461, 15 miles northeast of Coldstream, Paxton, The Scottish Borders, TD15 1SZ, Scotland