The palatial Floors Castle, the largest inhabited castle in Scotland, is an architectural extravagance bristling with pepper-mill turrets. Not so much a castle as the ancestral seat of a wealthy and powerful landowning family, the Roxburghes, it stands on the "floors," or flat terrain, on the banks of the River Tweed. The enormous home was built in 1721 by William Adam (1689–1748) and modified by William Playfair (1789–1857), who added the turrets and towers in the 1840s. The interior rooms are crowded with valuable furniture, paintings, porcelain, and a strangely eerie circular room full of stuffed birds. Each room has a knowledgable guide at the ready.The surrounding 56,000 acre estate is home to more than 40 farms.