- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's See It Scotland, 4th Edition
Threave Gardens Review
The National Trust for Scotland cares for the gently sloping parkland around the 1867 mansion built by William Gordon, a Liverpool businessman. The house, fully restored in the 1930s, gives a glimpse into the daily life of a prosperous family in the 19th century. The foliage demands the employment of many gardeners—and it's here that the gardeners train, thus ensuring there's always some fresh development or experimental planting. Entry to the house is by timed guided tour, and it's wise to book ahead. There's an on-site restaurant.
- Address: South of A75, 1 mile west of Castle Douglas Castle Douglas, DG7 1RX | Map It
- Phone: 0844/493–2245
- Cost: Gardens £7, house and gardens £12
- Hours: House Apr.–Oct., Wed.–Fri. and Sun. 11–3:30. Visitor center Feb., Mar., Nov., and Dec., Fri.–Sun. 10–5; Apr.–Oct., daily 10–5
- Website: www.nts.org.uk/Visits
- Location: Castle Douglas
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Any last minute tips or suggestions...
Saas Fee (Switzerland)
5 days skiing
Paris (3 days)
London (3 days) Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more