The National Trust for Scotland's leading attraction in this area is the House of Dun, which overlooks the Montrose Basin. The mansion was built in the 1730s for lawyer David Erskine, otherwise known as Lord Dun (1670–1755). Designed by architect William Adam (1689–1748), the house is particularly noted for its ornate plasterwork and curious Masonic masonry. Showing everything from Lady Dun's collection of embroidery to the working kitchens, this house tells the story
of the Seat of Dun and the eminent family's history. The sprawling grounds have a restored handloom weaving workshop, plus an enchanting walled Victorian garden.