- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Dundee makes an excellent base for exploring Fife and Angus at any time of year. The West End—especially its main thoroughfare Perth Road—pulses with life, with intimate cafés and excellent bars. The Dundee Contemporary Arts center has gained the city some attention. As you walk the cobbled streets, you may glimpse the 1888 Tay Rail Bridge, and if you head southwest you can reach Magdalen Green, where landscape artist James McIntosh Patrick (1907-98) found inspiration from the views and ever-changing skyscapes. The popular comic strips The Beano and The Dandy were first published here in the 1930s, so statues depicting Desperate Dan, Dawg, and a catapult-wielding Minnie the Minx were erected in the City Square.
Dundee at a Glance
Elsewhere in Fife and Angus
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2204 & up -- Scotland's Best Towns, 7-Nt. Trip w/Air Sceptre Tours