- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
National Express provides bus service to and from London and other major towns and cities. The main terminal, St. Andrew Square bus station, is a short walk north of Waverley station, immediately east of St. Andrew Square. Long-distance coaches must be booked in advance from the booking office in the terminal. Edinburgh is approximately eight hours by bus from London.
Lothian Buses provides much of the service between Edinburgh and the Lothians and conducts day tours around and beyond the city. First runs buses out of Edinburgh into the surrounding area. Megabus offers dirt-cheap fares if you book in advance.
First (0871/2002233. www.firstgroup.com.)
Lothian Buses (0131/555-6363. www.lothianbuses.com.)
Megabus (0900/160-0900. www.megabus.com.)
National Express (08717/818178. www.nationalexpress.co.uk.)
Travel Within Edinburgh
Lothian Buses is the main operator within Edinburgh. You can buy tickets on the bus. The Day Ticket (£2.50), allowing unlimited one-day travel on the city's buses, can be purchased in advance or from the driver on any Lothian bus (exact fare is required when purchasing on a bus). The Ridacard (for which you'll need a photo) is valid on all buses for seven days (Sunday through Saturday night) and costs £13; the four-week Rider costs £37. Buses are great for cheap daytime travel, but in the evening you'll probably want to take a taxi.
Lothian Buses (Waverley Bridge, Old Town, Edinburgh, EH1 1BQ. 0131/555-6363. www.lothianbuses.co.uk.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2386 & up -- Scotland: 6-Nt. Trip w/5-Star Hotels & Air Great Value Vacations
- $1799 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1555 & up -- Scotland 6-Nt. Bed & Breakfast Escape w/Air — $1,555 Sceptre Tours
- $1606 & up -- Scotland & Ireland 8-Nt. B&B Escape w/Air — $1,606 Great Value Vacations