Edinburgh and the Lothians Sights

Newhailes

  • Newhailes Rd. Map It
  • Musselburgh
  • Castle/Palace/Chateau

Published 05/04/2017

Fodor's Review

This fine late-17th-century house (with 18th-century additions), owned and run by the National Trust for Scotland, was designed by Scottish architect James Smith (circa 1645–1731) in 1686 as his own home. He later sold it to Lord Bellendon, and in 1707 it was bought by Sir David Dalrymple (c. 1665–1721), first Baronet of Hailes, who improved and extended the house, adding one of the finest rococo interiors in Scotland. The library played host to many famous figures from the Scottish Enlightenment, including inveterate Scot-basher Dr. Samuel Johnson, who dubbed the library "the most learned room in Europe." Most of the original interiors and furnishings remain intact, creating great authenticity.

Sight Information

Address:

Newhailes Rd., Musselburgh, East Lothian, EH21 6RY, Scotland

Map It

Phone:

0844-493–2125

Sight Details:

  • £13

Published 05/04/2017

Advertisement

Book A Trip
  • HOTELS

  • FLIGHTS

  • PACKAGES

  • CARS

Map View