Edinburgh and the Lothians Sights

House of the Binns

  • Off A904 Map It
  • Linlithgow
  • House/Mansion/Villa

Published 05/04/2017

Fodor's Review

The 17th-century general "Bloody Tam" Dalyell (c. 1599–1685) transformed a fortified stronghold into a gracious mansion, the House of the Binns (the name derives from bynn, the old Scottish word for hill). The present exterior dates from around 1810 and shows a remodeling into a kind of mock fort with crenellated battlements and turrets. Inside, magnificent plaster ceilings are done in the Elizabethan style.

Sight Information

Address:

Off A904, 4 miles east of Linlithgow, Linlithgow, West Lothian, EH49 7NA, Scotland

Map It

Phone:

0844-493–2127

Sight Details:

  • £10

Published 05/04/2017

Advertisement

Book A Trip
  • HOTELS

  • FLIGHTS

  • PACKAGES

  • CARS

Map View

What's Nearby

  • Restaurants
  • Sights

See all sights in Edinburgh and the Lothians