Edinburgh and the Lothians Sights

Advertisement

House of the Binns

House of the Binns Review

The 17th-century general "Bloody Tam" Dalyell (circa 1599–1685) transformed a fortified stronghold into a gracious mansion, the House of the Binns (the name derives from bynn, the old Scottish word for hill). The present exterior dates from around 1810 and shows a remodeling into a kind of mock fort with crenellated battlements and turrets. Inside, magnificent plaster ceilings are done in the Elizabethan style.

    Contact Information

  • Address: Off A904, 4 miles east of Linlithgow, Linlithgow, EH49 7NA | Map It
  • Phone: 0844/493–2127
  • Cost: £10
  • Hours: June–Sept., Sat.–Wed. 2–5
  • Website:
  • Location: South Queensferry
Updated: 10-11-2013

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

· Map of House of the Binns

Map of



Travel Deals
Forums