- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's See It Scotland, 4th Edition
The Caledonian, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel
At a Glance
- service with a smile
- good breakfast choice
- Internet access is extra
- may lack the "wow factor" for some
Check Rates from our Partners
The Caledonian, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Review
An imposing block of red sandstone beyond the west end of West Princes Street Gardens, "The Caley" has imposing Victorian decor and beautifully restored interiors. Built between 1898 and 1902 as the flagship hotel of the Caledonian Railway, its public areas have marbled green columns and an ornate stairwell with a burnished-metalwork balustrade. Now a Waldorf Astoria hotel, the hotel's elegant guest rooms are sumptuous and understated. But it's the two superb restaurants—La Pompadour and Galvin Brasserie De Luxe—that stand out.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Well, thanks to everyone's help, I've got all our accommodations booked except our last night. Read more