An imposing block of red sandstone beyond the west end of West Princes Street Gardens, "The Caley" has imposing Victorian decor and beautifully restored interiors. Built between 1898 and 1902 as the flagship hotel of the Caledonian Railway, its public areas have marbled green columns and an ornate stairwell with a burnished-metalwork balustrade. Now a Waldorf Astoria hotel, the hotel's elegant guest rooms are sumptuous and understated. But it's the two superb restaurants—La
Pompadour and Galvin Brasserie De Luxe—that stand out.