- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's See It Scotland, 4th Edition
The Scottish Mining Museum
The Scottish Mining Museum Review
In the former mining community of Newtongrange, the Scottish Mining Museum provides a good introduction to the history of Scotland's mining industry. With the help of videos you can experience life deep below the ground. There are also interactive displays and "magic helmets" that bring the tour to life and relate the power that the mining company had over the lives of the individual workers here, in Scotland's largest planned-mining village. This frighteningly autocratic system survived well into the 1930s—the company owned the houses, shops, and even the pub. The scenery is no more attractive than you would expect, with the green Pentland Hills hovering in the distance.
- Address: A7, Newtongrange, EH22 4QN | Map It
- Phone: 0131/663–7519
- Cost: £7.50
- Hours: Apr.–Sept., daily 10–5; Oct.–Mar., daily 10–4; last admission 1½ hrs before closing. Guided tours daily at 11:30, 1:30, and 3
- Website: www.scottishminingmuseum.com
- Location: Scottish Mining Museum
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Any last minute tips or suggestions...
Saas Fee (Switzerland)
5 days skiing
Paris (3 days)
London (3 days) Read more