- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
National Gallery of Scotland
National Gallery of Scotland Review
Opened to the public in 1859, the National Gallery presents a wide selection of paintings from the Renaissance to the postimpressionist period within a grand neoclassical building designed by William Playfair. Most famous are the old-master paintings bequeathed by the Duke of Sutherland, including Titian's Three Ages of Man. Many masters are here; works by Velázquez, El Greco, Rembrandt, Goya, Poussin, Turner, Degas, Monet, and Van Gogh, among others, complement a fine collection of Scottish art, including Sir Henry Raeburn's Reverend Robert Walker Skating on Duddingston Loch and other works by Ramsay, Raeburn, and Wilkie. The Weston Link connects the National Gallery of Scotland to the Royal Scottish Academy and provides expanded gallery space as well as a restaurant, bar, café, shop, and information center.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2386 & up -- Scotland: 6-Nt. Trip w/5-Star Hotels & Air Great Value Vacations
- $1799 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1555 & up -- Scotland 6-Nt. Bed & Breakfast Escape w/Air — $1,555 Sceptre Tours
- $1606 & up -- Scotland & Ireland 8-Nt. B&B Escape w/Air — $1,606 Great Value Vacations
I realized that my other ongoing report ("UK TR, so far)" was now misnamed....so I am finishing here. I started it on the 2nd (or so) day of our trip, but now we have been at home for several days.
The Read more
Again, as promised a separate thread that will be easily searchable. Read more
My 17 year old daughter will be flying alone from the US to Munich via London (Heathrow). Read more