Edinburgh and the Lothians Feature
Leith, Edinburgh's Seaport
On the south shore of the Firth of Forth, Leith was a separate town until it merged with the city in 1920. After World War II and up until the 1980s, the declining seaport had a reputation for poverty and crime. In recent years, however, it has been revitalized with the restoration of commercial buildings as well as the construction of new luxury housing, bringing a buzz of trendiness. All the docks have been redeveloped; the Old East and West docks are now the administrative headquarters of the Scottish Executive. Plans are afoot to make the docks a hub of renewable energy industries.
In earlier times, Leith was the stage for many historic happenings. In 1560 Mary of Guise, the mother of Mary, Queen of Scots, ruled Scotland from Leith; her daughter landed in Leith the following year to embark on her infamous reign. A century later, Cromwell led his troops to Leith to root out Scots royalists. An arch of the Leith Citadel reminds all of the Scots' victory. Leith also prides itself on being a "home of golf," because official rules to the game were devised in 1744, in what is today Links Park. The rolling green mounds here hide the former field and cannon sites of past battles.
80° BY THE SEA
Looking for a beach vacation? Let us help you find the right spot.More
View deals in Edinburgh and the Lothians for vacation packages, hotels, airfare, and more from our partners!More