Edinburgh and the Lothians Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Edinburgh and the Lothians
Kaleidoscope of culture: Edinburgh covers it all, from floor-stomping ceilidhs to avant-garde modern dance, from traditional painting and sculpture to cutting-edge installations, from folksy fiddlers to the latest rock bands. The city's calendar of cultural festivals, including the famous Edinburgh International Festival, is outstanding.
The power and the glory: History plays out before your eyes in this centuries-old capital, along the Royal Mile or farther afield. Edinburgh Castle and the Palace of Holyroodhouse were the locations for some of the most important struggles between Scotland and England.
Awe-inspiring architecture: From the Old Town's labyrinthine medieval streets to the neoclassical orderliness of the New Town to imaginative modern developments like the Scottish Parliament, the architecture of Auld Reekie spans the ages.
Food, glorious food: Edinburgh has sophisticated restaurants serving cuisines from around the world. Perhaps the most exotic, however, is genuine Scottish cuisine, with its classic dishes like Cullen skink and haggis with neeps and tatties.
Retail therapy: Scotland has a strong tradition of distinctive furniture makers, silversmiths, and artists. Look to the "villages" of Edinburgh—such as Stockbridge—for exclusive designer clothing, edgy knitwear, and other high-end items.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2386 & up -- Scotland: 6-Nt. Trip w/5-Star Hotels & Air Great Value Vacations
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1555 & up -- Scotland 6-Nt. Bed & Breakfast Escape w/Air — $1,555 Sceptre Tours
- $1606 & up -- Scotland & Ireland 8-Nt. B&B Escape w/Air — $1,606 Great Value Vacations