Bicycling in Edinburgh and the Lothians
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Edinburgh is not the friendliest city for bikes; there's a lot of traffic, even on weekends. The tourist information center can point you toward some quieter routes just beyond the city center. Rentals cost £75 per week for a 21-speed or mountain bike. Daily rates (24 hours) are about £16, with half days costing £12. Bike Trax. A wide range of bikes is available at Bike Trax, which also sells clothing and accessories. 11–13 Lochrin Pl., Tollcross, Edinburgh, EH3 9QX. 0131/228–6633. www.biketrax.co.uk.
Grange Cricket Club. Between April and September, the beautiful Grange Cricket Club, established in 1832, stages county games and hosts various league matches. Local club games are free to watch and make for a civilized introduction to the game. Portgower Pl., Stockbridge, Edinburgh, EH4 1HQ. 0131/332–2148. www.grangecricket.org.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe