- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The city makes a great base for exploring the region, and you can fan out in almost any direction from Inverness for interesting day trips: east to Moray and the distilleries near Forres, southeast to the Cairngorms, and south to Loch Ness. Compared with other Scottish towns, though, Inverness has less to offer visitors with a keen interest in Scottish history. Throughout its past the town was burned and ravaged by Highland clans competing for dominance.
Inverness at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Around the Great Glen
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's