- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The sturdy settlement of Grantown-on-Spey, set amid tall pines that flank the River Spey, is a classic Scottish planned town. The community was laid out by the local landowner, in this case Sir James Grant, in 1776. It has handsome buildings in silver granite and some good shopping for locally made crafts.
Grantown-on-Spey at a Glance
Elsewhere in Around the Great Glen
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's