- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Glenmore Lodge. In Cairngorms National Park, this is a good center for day and residential courses on rock and ice climbing, hiking, kayaking, ski touring, mountain biking, and more. Some classes are aimed at kids over 14. There are superb facilities, such as an indoor climbing wall. Signposted on B970, about 5 miles west of Glenmore, Aviemore, PH22 1QU. 01479/861256. www.glenmorelodge.org.uk.
G2 Outdoor. The wide range of adventures at G2 Outdoor includes white-water rafting, gorge walking, and rock climbing. The company offers a family float trip on the River Spey in summer, and in winter runs ski courses. Dalfaber Industrial Estate, off Dalfaber Dr., Aviemore, PH22 1ST. 01479/811008. www.g2outdoor.co.uk.
Mikes Bikes. This small bike shop stocks all the gear you might need to take advantage of the many paths around Aviemore. It also rents and repairs bikes. The place is somewhat hard to find, tucked down some stairs below the street. Myrtlefield Shopping Centre, Grampian Rd., Aviemore, PH22 1SB. 01479/810478. www.aviemorebikes.co.uk.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe