- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Considering its small size, Arisaig, gateway to the Small Isles, offers a surprising choice of high-quality options for dining and lodging. To the north of Arisaig, the road cuts across a headland to reach a stretch of coastline where silver sands glitter with the mica in the local rock; clear water, blue sky, and white sand lend a tropical flavor to the beaches—when the sun is shining.
From Arisaig try to visit a couple of the Small Isles: Rum, Eigg, Muck, and Canna, each tiny and with few or no inhabitants. Rum serves as a wildlife reserve.
Arisaig at a Glance
Elsewhere in Around the Great Glen
- Boat of Garten
- Culloden Moor
- Fort Augustus and Loch Ness
- Fort George
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe