When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
This part of the mainland is close enough to Glasgow that it's convenient to reach year-round. Oban is just over two hours from the city by car (three hours by bus), but getting to the isles via ferries takes longer. You can take advantage of quiet roads and plentiful accommodations in early spring and late autumn. The summer months of July and August can get very busy indeed; book accommodations and restaurants in advance during high season, or you'll miss out. In winter, short daylight hours and winds can make island stays rather bleak.
This is a coastal region, buffeted by Atlantic winds and rains. The climate is erratic, and locals take a curious pride in the fact that the area often experiences several seasons in a single day. Come prepared with adequate clothing for the changing weather, including good walking shoes, waterproof outerwear, and sunscreen.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe