- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's See It Scotland, 4th Edition
Brodick Castle and Country Park
Brodick Castle and Country Park Review
On the north side of Brodick Bay, this reddish sandstone structure is surrounded by lush woods, gardens, and parks. Several rooms are open to the public between March and October, both in the original 16th-century castle and in the Victorian additions that nicely illustrate the Hamilton family's opulent lifestyle. The large downstairs kitchen reveals how servants lived, and the 87 stag heads on the stairs are a slightly disturbing reminder of how the aristocracy spent their leisure time. The vast gardens, open all year, are filled with rhododendrons and azalea. A café serves homemade cakes and coffee for breakfast as well as a light lunch menu.
The country park here includes the 2,867-foot Goatfell, at the highest peak in Arran. The beautiful upland landscape is more challenging to explore than it seems, so it's important to go prepared, but the views from the peak merit the effort to get there. Year-round access is from the country park or from Cladach on the A841.
- Address: Off A841, 1 mile north of Brodick Pier Brodick, KA27 8HY | Map It
- Phone: 0844/4932152
- Cost: Castle and gardens £12
- Hours: Castle Apr. and Oct., daily 11–3; May–Sept, daily 11–4. Garden Apr. and Oct., daily 10–4; May–Sept., daily 10–5
- Website: www.nts.org.uk
- Location: Brodick
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Thanks to all for your suggestions on a previous topic. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more