- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
It's almost impossible to avoid Oban when touring the west. Its waterfront has some character, but the town's main role is as a launch point for excursions into Argyll and for ferry trips to the islands. A traditional Scottish resort town, Oban has many music festivals, ceilidhs with Highland dancing, as well as all the usual tartan kitsch and late-night revelry in pubs and hotel bars. Still, there are more exciting destinations just over the horizon, on the islands and down Kintyre.
Oban at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Argyll and the Isles
- Easdale and the Slate Islands
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe