- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The road from Blackwaterfoot to Lochranza exposes another face of Arran: muddy, rocky beaches line one side, while the other has views of the sweeping slopes up to Goat Fell and Caisteal Abhail (2,735 feet), whose stark granite peaks dominate the skyline of the north of the island. The variety of bird life here is striking, which is why ornithologists flock to Arran in the off-season.
Arran's only distillery, the sparkling Isle of Arran Distillery, is in Lochranza, nestled in the hills overlooking Lochranza Bay.
Elsewhere in Argyll and the Isles
- Easdale and the Slate Islands
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2204 & up -- Scotland's Best Towns, 7-Nt. Trip w/Air Sceptre Tours
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
- The Royal Scotsman & the Military Tattoo Escorted Journey IExplore
- Scotland Experience — $3,333 IExplore
- The Royal Scotsman & the Military Tattoo Escorted Journey — $11,990 IExplore