- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Flybe flights from Glasgow to Islay take forty minutes. The trip by CalMac ferry from Kennacraig to Port Ellen takes about two-and-a-half hours; ferries also travel less frequently to Port Askaig. From Port Ellen, you'll need to travel 10 mi on the A846 to reach Bowmore; drivers should use caution during the first mile out of Port Ellen, as the road is filled with sharp turns. The rest of the route is straight but very bumpy, since the road is laid across peat bog. The ferry to Feolin on Jura departs from Port Askaig; the crossing takes five minutes.
Bus service is available through Islay Coaches and Royal Mail; comprehensive timetables are available from the tourist information center.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe