Founded in 1593 by the Earl Marischal (the keeper of the king's mares), Marischal College was a Protestant alternative to the Catholic King's College in Old Aberdeen. The two joined to form the University of Aberdeen in 1860. The spectacularly ornate work of the main university building is set off by the gilded flags, and this turn-of-the-20th-century creation is still one of the world's largest granite buildings. In 2011, the building's interior was rebuilt to house the city council. In keeping with the Aberdonian custom of never throwing anything away, the discarded materials have already been used in buildings around the city.
Broad St., Aberdeen, Aberdeen City, AB10 1YS, Scotland