- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Balmoral Castle Review
The enormous parking lot is indicative of the popularity of Balmoral Castle, one of Queen Elizabeth II's favorite family retreats. Balmoral's visiting hours depend on whether the royals are in residence. In truth, there are more interesting and historic buildings to explore, as the only part of the castle on view is the ballroom, with an exhibition of royal artifacts. The Carriage Hall has displays of commemorative china, carriages, and native wildlife. Thanks to Victoria and Albert, who built the house to Prince Albert's design, stags' heads abounded, the bagpipes wailed incessantly, and the garish Stuart tartan was used for everything from carpets to chair covers. A more somber Duff tartan, black and green to blend with the environment, was later adopted. Queen Elizabeth II follows her predecessors' routine in spending a holiday of about six weeks in Deeside, usually from mid-August to the end of September. During this time Balmoral is closed to visitors, including the grounds. You can take a guided tour in November and December; if the weather is crisp and bright, the estate is at its most dramatic and romantic.
Around and about Balmoral, which is 7 mi west of Ballater, are some notable spots—Cairn O'Mount, Cambus O'May, and the Cairngorms from the Linn of Dee—and some of them may be seen on pony-trekking expeditions, which use Balmoral stalking ponies and go around the grounds and estate.
Tempted by the setting? Balmoral Castle has five cottages (some very large) for rent by the week at certain times. They are atmospheric but can be basic.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Low Aberdeen Rate: Book Fr $262+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $25/night less
- Save in Aberdeen: Book 3 Nts in May at Craighaar Fr $123+/Nt Expedia
- Save $$ in Aberdeen: Book Fr $163+/Nt — $163 Save with Hotels.com, $18/night less
- Aberdeen Savings! Book at Skene House Rosemount Fr $193+/Nt — $193 Expedia
- Explore Aberdeen For Less! Book Fr $206+/Nt — $206 Save with Hotels.com, $123/night less
Back a week ago Friday and am finally caught up, ready to start the TR.
Background: Some you have read my trip report of last year's journey to scatter Mom and Dad's ashes at the Lake of Menteith, tou Read more
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
I thnk I can figure out London! Read more
· News & Features
We're sure your friends' Instagram photos of their puppies are super cute, but Brad Tully's animal snaps... Read more
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more