- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Ballater and Balmoral Castle
The handsome holiday resort of Ballater, once noted for the curative properties of its waters, has profited from the proximity of the royals, nearby at Balmoral Castle. You might be amused by the array of by royal appointment signs proudly hanging from many of its various shops (even monarchs need bakers and butchers). Take time to stroll around this well-laid-out community. The railway station houses the tourist information center and a display on the glories of the Great North of Scotland branch railway line, closed in the 1960s along with so many others in this country.
The locals have long taken the town's royal connection in stride. To this day, the hundreds who line the road when the queen and her family arrive for services at the family's parish church at Crathie are invariably visitors to Deeside—one of Balmoral's attractions for the monarch has always been the villagers' respect for royal privacy.
Ballater and Balmoral Castle at a Glance
Elsewhere in Aberdeen and the Northeast
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2204 & up -- Scotland's Best Towns, 7-Nt. Trip w/Air Sceptre Tours
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
- The Royal Scotsman & the Military Tattoo Escorted Journey IExplore
- Scotland Experience — $3,333 IExplore
- The Royal Scotsman & the Military Tattoo Escorted Journey — $11,990 IExplore