- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Shostakovich Philharmonia Review
Once part of the private Nobles' Club, the Philharmonia, or Philharmonia Hall, is now home to the St. Petersburg Philharmonic. Its main concert hall, the Bolshoi Zal, with its impressive marble columns, has been the site of many celebrated performances, including the premiere (in 1893) of Tchaikovsky's Sixth (Pathétique) Symphony, with the composer conducting. (This was his final masterpiece; he died nine days later.) More recently, in 1942, when Leningrad was completely blockaded, Dmitri Shostakovich's Seventh (Leningrad) Symphony premiered here, an event broadcast in the same spirit of defiance against the Germans in which it was written. Later the concert hall was officially named for this composer.
A smaller hall, the Maly Zal, around the corner, is also part of the complex 30 Nevsky pr., City Center, 191023. 812/571-8333 box office; 812/571-4237 information.
- Address: 2 Milkhailovskaya ul., City Center, St. Petersburg
- Phone: 812/710-4257 kassa; 812/710-4290 directory service
- Metro: Nevsky Prospekt.
- Location: From the Square of the Arts to the Field of Mars
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- ASAP Tickets Sale! Flights to Saint Petersburg From 497 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Small budget: Stay in St. Petersburg this May Fr $599+/Nt Save with Expedia, $126/night less
- 4-Star Ambassador Fr $148+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $118/night less
- Up to 28% OFF on St. Petersburg 5 Nts Htl + Air Fr $1,262 Travelocity
- Hot Deal on a 27 Nt Cruise! Seabourn Cruise Line Fr $5,499 Expedia
This is a series of Trip reports that I originally posted on Trip Advisor. Read more
Hello. Read more
My wife and I are planning to visit Moscow and St Petersburg in May. Read more
· News & Features
Why not take that classic walking city tour to new heights with this new trend of rooftop tours?... Read more
Feeling that Olympics fever?... Read more
From Arkansas to Nicaragua, we've got our ear to the ground when it comes to the hottest new hotels.... Read more