- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Gostiny Dvor Review
Taking up an entire city block, this is St. Petersburg's answer to the GUM department store in Moscow. Initially constructed by Rastrelli in 1757, it was not completed until 1785, by Vallin de la Mothe, who was responsible for the facade with its two tiers of arches. At the time the structure was erected, traveling merchants were routinely put up in guesthouses (called gostiny dvor), which, like this one, doubled as places for doing business. This arcade was completely rebuilt in the 19th century, by which time it housed some 200 general-purpose shops that were far less elegant than those in other parts of the Nevsky. It remained a functional bazaar until alterations in the 1950s and 1960s connected most of its separate shops into St. Petersburg's largest department store. Today Gostiny Dvor houses fashionable boutiques, and you can also find currency-exchange kiosks and ATMs here. On its ground floor there is a sovenier shop where you can buy all kinds of Russian traditional soveniers such as matryoshka dolls, khokhloma painted bowls, spoons and cutting boards, as well as magnets with St. Petersburg sights and many other things to bring home as gifts. Virtually across the street, at 48 Nevsky prospekt, is the city's other major "department store," also an arcade, called Passazh, built in 1848.
- Address: 35 Nevsky pr., City Center, St. Petersburg, 191023
- Phone: 812/710–5408 information desk
- Hours: Daily 10–10
- Metro: Gostiny Dvor.
- Location: City Center
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Hello first of all I'd apreciate A LOT if someone can instruct me or advise me in the following things:
I'm going for and exchange to St. Petersburg, Russia in january and my dad is kind of nervous abou Read more
· News & Features
Already in the spotlight for the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics, Sochi, Russia, is also getting a swanky ... Read more
Earlier this summer, a a 19th Century royal palace in Russia's capital city of St.... Read more
Why not take that classic walking city tour to new heights with this new trend of rooftop tours?... Read more