St. Petersburg Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to St. Petersburg
Be awed by the Hermitage: In one of the world's premier historical and art collections, you can see works by Monet, Picasso, and Matisse, the opulence of tsarist Russia, Egyptian mummies, and Scythian gold.
Take in the view from St. Isaac's Cathedral: The third largest cathedral in the world, with a gilded dome covered in 100 kilograms (220 pounds) of pure gold, dominates St. Petersburg skyline and affords great views from its colonnade.
Bask in the White Nights: If you're planning to visit in May through July you'll be witness to this romantic and beautiful phenomenon: the city is aglow in daylight throughout the night.
Enjoy the Mariinsky Opera and Ballet Theatre: Ballet stars such as Anna Pavlova, Vaslav Nijinsky, Rudolf Nureyev, and Mikhail Baryshnikov once graced this theater's stage; now it turns out great modern ballet and opera performances.
Pay homage at Peter and Paul Fortress: St. Petersburg was founded at this citadel, built by Peter the Great. It never saw battle, and instead became a political prison for Peter's rebellious son, Alexei. It later held Dostoyevsky, Gorky, and Trotsky to name a few. The dynasty of Russian tsars is buried within the fortress.Updated: 09-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's