If You Have 1 or 2 Days
You can take your pick of the suburbs for any day trip, although your choice of destination will be influenced by the time of year. In summer, Peterhof is a must. At this time of year, Pushkin and Pavlovsk are at their most attractive, and can be seen in a single day or, better still, over two days. For a destination with a completely different historical feel, head for the naval town of Kronshtadt. If you have two days to see the summer palaces, you could also strike out for Gatchina or Lomonosov on the second day.
If You Have 3 or 4 Days
In summer head to Peterhof and Pushkin on your first two days. On your third day, take a break from the palaces and visit the unforgettable Valaam Archipelago. To get to Valaam, catch the boat on the evening of your second day down the Neva River and up into Lake Ladoga. Spend the third day admiring the secluded monasteries and natural beauty of the islands, and return to the city overnight. On your final day, head for Gatchina, Lomonosov, or the Konstantine Palace.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Russia Experience IExplore
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
- Resplendent Russia IExplore
- Russia: MiG 29 Flight Programs — $16,600 IExplore
- Legend of the Russian Czars — $4,995 IExplore