Abramtsevo Estate Museum
The 18th-century, wooden Abramtsevo Estate was at the center of Russia's cultural life in two different periods of the 19th century. It's easier to name the cultural figures of the early 19th century who didn't visit Abramtsevo than all of those who did. Among the latter are the writers Nikolai Gogol and Ivan Turgenev. The artists Valentin Serov, Mikhail Vrubel, Ilya Repin, Viktor Vasnetsov, and Vasily Polenov were just a few of the artists who lived and worked at the estate when it was an artists' colony in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Abramtsevo Estate Museum at a Glance
Elsewhere in Side Trips from Moscow
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's