- Appreciate architecture These towns are home to some of the finest examples of Russian architecture; the oldest, most beautiful kremlins; and religious buildings decorated with ancient frescoes.
- Experience the "Real" Russia A visit to a quiet provincial town like Vladimir or Rostov is markedly different from the bustle of Moscow's city. The towns' proximity to Moscow makes them easy for day or overnight trips.
- Gaze at onion domes The Troitse-Sergieva Lavra's Cathedral of the Assumption has some of the most beautiful and most photographed blue and gold onion domes, and is also the main pilgrimage site for all of Russia.
- Honor Tchaikovsky and Tolstoy Visit the home in Klin where Russia's best-known classical music composer wrote The Nutcracker and Sleeping Beauty. See the desk where Tolstoy penned Anna Karenina and War and Peace at his estate in Yasnaya Polyana.
- Soak up some Russian history Get to know the heritage of this land of princes it's one of the birthplaces of modern Russia and a cradle of the Russian Orthodox religion.
Need trip ideas? Check out our curated collections of destinations around the globe.More