Russian Orthodox churches, many recently restored, line this north–south street that runs for more than a mile.
St. Catherine's Church. Commissioned by Catherine the Great in 1763 and designed by Karl Blank, this white classical-style church sits on the corner of pereulok Pogorelsky. The freshly restored interior is rather modest compared to that of some other churches in the city, but the central dome has some impressive A-shaped frescoes painted around the windows. Across from the entrance is a shop that sells icons, vivid cloth, and small clothing items, such as scarves. 60 ul. Bolshaya Ordinka, 119017. No phone. Metro: Dobryninskaya.
Church of the Virgin of All Sorrows. Designed by Osip Bove and built between 1828 and 1835, the neoclassical-era church is an excellent example of the Empire style popular in the early 19th century. It replaced a
church that had burned down in the fire of 1812. The interior, filled with icons and gold, is nothing earth-shattering, but it's good for getting the feel of a typical working church. It is one of many churches on this wide boulevard. 20 ul. Bolshaya Ordinka. No phone. Metro: Tretyakovskaya.
Bolshaya Ordinka ul., Moscow, Russia