- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Moscow & St. Petersburg
Church of St. Nicholas in Khamovniki (Tserkov Nikoly v Khamovnikakh)
Church of St. Nicholas in Khamovniki (Tserkov Nikoly v Khamovnikakh) Review
Built between 1679 and 1682 and remaining open throughout the years of Communist rule, what looks like a frosted gingerbread house has been well preserved. The elegant bell tower is particularly impressive, and five gilded domes sit atop a white facade with tangerine and forest-green trim. In fact, the design was meant to suggest a festive piece of woven cloth, for weavers who settled in considerable numbers in this quarter in the 17th century commissioned the building of this church. The interior, containing a wealth of icons, is one of the most ornate in the city.
- Address: Komsomolsky pr. and ul. Lva Tolstovo, Kropotkinsky District, Moscow, 119034
- Phone: No phone
- Metro: Park Kultury.
- Location: Kropotkinsky District
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Have a brief trip to St. Read more
· News & Features
Theme restaurants around the world are racing to one-up each other, in hopes of debuting something outlandish ... Read more
Already in the spotlight for the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics, Sochi, Russia, is also getting a swanky... Read more
Earlier this summer, a a 19th Century royal palace in Russia's capital city of St.... Read more