- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Moscow & St. Petersburg
Church of St. Nicholas in Khamovniki (Tserkov Nikoly v Khamovnikakh)
Church of St. Nicholas in Khamovniki (Tserkov Nikoly v Khamovnikakh) Review
Built between 1679 and 1682 and remaining open throughout the years of Communist rule, what looks like a frosted gingerbread house has been well preserved. The elegant bell tower is particularly impressive, and five gilded domes sit atop a white facade with tangerine and forest-green trim. In fact, the design was meant to suggest a festive piece of woven cloth, for weavers who settled in considerable numbers in this quarter in the 17th century commissioned the building of this church. The interior, containing a wealth of icons, is one of the most ornate in the city.
- Address: Komsomolsky pr. and ul. Lva Tolstovo, Kropotkinsky District, Moscow, 119034
- Phone: No phone
- Metro: Park Kultury.
- Location: Kropotkinsky District
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
You guys were very helpful while planning, and during, our last trip (7 weeks to Turkey and Greece last spring), so I'd like your thoughts and suggestions while planning our next trip.
We're planning Read more
· News & Features
Theme restaurants around the world are racing to one-up each other, in hopes of debuting something outlandish ... Read more
Already in the spotlight for the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics, Sochi, Russia, is also getting a swanky... Read more
Earlier this summer, a a 19th Century royal palace in Russia's capital city of St.... Read more